Please enable JavaScript to access this page.
Breaking News

Thousands of exiled West Bank residents face uncertain months ahead

Paul Adams

BBC News, West Bank

grey placeholderEnvironmental Protection Agency two children and their mother walk along a street filled with kickEPA

The operation, which lasted for a month, has displaced about 40,000 Palestinians from four camps in the West Bank

“The army forced us to go out. I, my wife and my family. We did not take anything with us.”

Alaa Owi tries to know how to manage his changing conditions significantly.

“We left behind our documents, clothes, and all we have at home.”

A month has passed since the Israeli army has raided the Tulkarm camp for refugees, causing thousands of residents to flee.

At the local Palestinian ruler’s office, we found the residents of the displaced camp looking for help.

Some were struggling to find places at reasonable prices for rent. Others, like Mr. Olve, need to recover important property but were prevented from returning to their homes by the Israeli army.

“My wife expects a child next week,” said Olve. “I can’t take her to the hospital because I need insurance papers and my knowledge, but it was left at home.”

What Israel described as the “Iron Wall Operation” against Palestinian armed groups caused the migration of about 40,000 people from four camps in the northern occupied West Bank: Toulirm, Nour Shams, Jinin and Vara.

Relief agencies are called the largest forced displacement for Palestinians in the West Bank since then It was arrested by the Israeli forces during the 1967 war for a period of six days.

It is also the first time that any of the camps, which were created in the early fifties of the last century of the Palestinians who fled their homes during the Israeli independence war, were almost completely completely.

grey placeholderAlaa stare directly on the camera with depression on his face

Alaa Okay was unable to return home to collect the decisive documents needed for his pregnant wife

Since the operation began in January, the Israeli forces have rushed on the roads and demolished homes.

On the eastern edge of the tulkarm camp, the wide scar is visible as there were homes tightly packed. Israeli soldiers can be seen periodically like the street.

Elsewhere, the roads were cut to the camp, where armored bulldozers create piles of the ground and muddy rain water baths. The sidewalks and storefronts have left distorted.

The concrete United Nations brand that was used to stand on the main emotional entrance to the camp was closed.

grey placeholderThe map shows the location

At least 51 Palestinians, including seven children, have been killed by Israeli forces in the northern West Bank since the beginning of the operation, according to the United Nations.

Three soldiers were killed by Palestinian militants, one of them during the exchange of fire in two Jenin and two others in an attack on a checkpoint in Topas, she says.

The Israeli army says it is dealing with the Palestinian militant groups, based in the camps – the groups it blames for a series of bombs on the side of the road to the Israeli soldiers and civilians.

On Sunday, the Israeli Defense Minister, Israel Katz, said that the army was “in a state of war with Islamic terrorism in Judea and Samaria” – the term used by Israel to describe the West Bank.

He said he had instructed the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) “to prepare for a long residence in the camps that have been purified for the next year.”

grey placeholderGetty Images Israeli tanks via a muddy and rocky road with many young Palestinians who flee from it only at the forefront and masses of journalists gathered on one sideGety pictures

Israeli tanks were published in Jenin for the first time in two decades

Meanwhile, Katz tanks ordered that he hold positions in Jenin Camp and the surrounding city, for the first time in more than 20 years.

Besides emphasizing the difficult government’s message, it is not clear what the role will do the four tanks.

“The Israeli Defense Army is working in very complex urban environments,” said a military official, provided that his identity is not disclosed.

In reference to the wars of Israel with Hamas and Hezbollah, the official said: “We did this in Gaza, we did this in the villages of southern Lebanon,” referring to the wars of Israel with Hamas and Hezbollah.

“We are doing this in those neighborhoods in Judea and Samer because of the threat we are facing.”

Military officials say there were no orders to evacuate civilians.

“The Israeli Defense Army allowed the local residents who want to stay away from the fighting areas to leave safely through the specific crossings,” the army said in a statement.

But the camp residents say they were forced to leave, some of them under fire.

Others say that the departure instructions were delivered by drones.

One video clip of Jenin dr the drone flying over the camp, apparently broadcasting a message.

“Exit your homes, the army will be here.”

The newly appointed Palestinian ruler calls Toulirm, Dr. Abdullah Kamil, the iron process, the “Declaration of War”.

“You are talking about a process of destruction,” he told the BBC. “The financial and mental destruction of the residents. These are the things that the Israelis plan accurately.”

He says that the goal is to create a “hostile environment” for the camp residents, in the hope that they will leave and absorb to the Palestinian public population.

Meanwhile, the Palestinians find themselves struggle with a set of new, large and small difficulties.

In the village of Qusbatia, south of Jenin, we found a driver trying to fiercely to be reflected in a muddy hole left by the Israeli bulldozers dug in the street.

His car was stuck in the middle of the road, and the traffic preparation in both directions.

In a nearby roundabout, a replica of the famous Jerusalem dome was destroyed.

Although Israel’s warning, no one knows how much practical time, and the restrictions imposed on civilians will continue.

“If we cannot return to our home for a year, it will be a disaster,” says Alaa Osi.

“We will let them cut on the streets with children.”

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/branded_news/39c2/live/4afafa80-f45e-11ef-8c03-7dfdbeeb2526.jpg

2025-02-26 18:25:00

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button