Bodies on streets, hospitals struggle, battles intensify in DR Congo’s Goma | United Nations News

Heavy battles Between the M23 fighters and the Congolese government forces in the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Republic of the Congo (DRC), they left many streets in the streets, as hospitals are struggling to deal with the increasing number of losses.
In the capital Kinshasa, the demonstrators who criticized the international failure attacked the embassies of Rwanda, France, Belgium and the United States on Tuesday.
On Monday, the rebels, the United Nations, said, were supported by Rwanda, and they walked in Goma and declared the main city under their control, indicating a major blow to the Congolese army and a dangerous escalation in the conflict that continued for years killed hundreds and explained millions in the region.
The Minister of Rural Development in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mohndo Nuzanji, said that the Congolese army took control of 80 percent of Juma, with Rwandan forces, either on the outskirts of the city or returning to the border.
At a press conference on Tuesday, the United Nations and other relief agencies warned that hospitals are mired in Goma, treating hundreds of patients with mortar wounds and fragments while many bodies are located in the streets.
“There are hundreds of people in the hospital, and the greatest of them suffer from fireworks,” said Adelaid Marsang, a response coordinator for emergency cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
At least 17 people were killed in Guma on Monday, and Agence France -Presse news agency reported that doctors in the city were treating 367 people who were injured in the clashes. Members of civil society and non -governmental organizations in Goma put the death toll at 25, with 375 people.

“We have reports that the neighborhoods are quiet, after a few minutes, we hear reports about a new bombing,” said Greg Ram, the rural director of children’s rescue at DRC.
Jeans Lrek, a spokesman for the United Nations Humanitarian Office, told a press conference, quoting reports of the United Nations employees in the city, that the heavy small weapons fire and mortar fire continued in the streets, where many bodies can be seen, Jeans -Lier, a spokesman for The United Nations Humanitarian Office, at a press conference, cited reports from the United Nations employees in the city.
Targeted embassies
Kenya’s lead secretary of Foreign Affairs, Kurir Singoy, condemned attacks on the Kenyan, Ugandan and South Africa embassies through “demonstrators who express their discontent.”
The American embassy in Kinshasa advised the citizens “shelter in place and avoid movements.” French Foreign Minister Jean -Nula Barrot condemned the “unacceptable” attack, saying that a fire in the French embassy building was now under control.
Meanwhile, the World Food Program said that food aid activities in Juma and around them “temporarily stopped” and expressed concern about food shortages.
Also on Tuesday, South Africa confirmed three of its soldiers He died In the fighting on Monday, after he was arrested in Crossfire.
The fighting has sent thousands of people who flowed from Goma, who was a major regional center for humanitarian assistance to the displaced. Hundreds of thousands of fighting have fled since the beginning of the year, in addition to three million displaced people in the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo last year.
“The city is in real difficulty, and if it has not fallen overnight, it will be in the coming days.” “Rwanda must put its weapons, calm must return and the dialogue needs to be restarted.”

A Reuters resident of the Guma news agency told Reuters that he saw men wearing the Rwandan army uniform on Monday.
“In the evening, I went out to see what was the situation. I saw soldiers wearing new Rwandan clothes.
Fire exchanges between the Congolese and Rwandan forces also occurred on both sides of the border crossing near Guma. Five civilians were killed and 25 were seriously injured on the outskirts of the Rwandan border town Gisenyi.
M23, or March 23, is one of the hundreds of armed groups working in the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and seeks to control critical metal mines.
Group component From Tutsi fighters and claims to be fighting for the rights of the Tutsi minority in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It appeared in 2012 after the outbreak of a group of armed forces from DRC (FARDC), complaining of poor treatment.
In 2012, M23 first seized Juma, but the Congolese army, with the support of the United Nations forces, pushed the rebels to the eastern hills on the border with Rwanda in 2013.
The government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the United Nations accused Rwanda, during the era of President Paul Kagame, of supporting M23 with soldiers and weapons in an attempt to control the Republic of the Congo rich in metal.
“There is no doubt that there are Rwandan forces in Goma supporting the M23,” said Jean -Pierre Lacroix, head of the United Nations Peacekeeping Forces. “It is difficult to determine exactly what the numbers are.”
Rwanda denied this accusation and accused the Democratic Republic of the Congo of harboring members of the Democratic Forces to Liberation of Rwanda, an anti -kag rebel group that was involved in the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
With the escalation of the fighting, the African Union’s Peace and Security Council will hold a meeting later on Tuesday to discuss the crisis.
The United Nations Security Council will meet on Tuesday to discuss the crisis.
https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/AP25028326680925-1738062134.jpg?resize=1920%2C1440
2025-01-28 09:33:00